Sunday, March 3, 2013

Dr. Seuss Inspired Week

Hello all and welcome to my blog. I've been reading so many different types of blogs now and it has inspired me to start my own so that I can share some of my daily activities, adventures, stories, and much more with all of you. This week, it's all about Dr. Seuss since his birthday was on Saturday.

I am a nanny to two little girls, ages 5 and 3, and I LOVE teaching them and doing fun 'school things' with them everyday.
I just wanted to post my lesson plans for everyone to see to get ideas to teach their little ones.

Monday: 

Read this book

Sight Word- 'so' - make up a song using this sight word
Create our own rhyming page- make up one sentence that rhymes and then draw a picture to go along with that
Make a hat like the one found on this blog discoverykidzone.blogspot.com/2012/03/whats-on-tray-wednesday-this-week-is.html using words that rhyme with hat
Snack- Round apple slices on bottom then cut up strawberries and bananas and stack them like hats in a pattern. *Since the five year old don't like bananas I'm going to put cottage cheese in the middle of the strawberries to make a red and white pattern. 

Tuesday: 

Read this book


Sight Word- 'small' - use ABC blocks 
Art: Paint all the letters of the alphabet using whatever the girls want (fingers, paintbrushes, q-tips, etc)
Play alphabet bingo - the girls LOVE playing this and we haven't done it in a while
Let the three year old use alphabet stickers to write her name - do a name puzzle with the 5 year old

Wednesday: 

Read this book

Sight Word- 'soon' - spelling it out with our bodies (like the ymca) 
Art: Have the girls draw their own girl named Daisy-Head Mayzie. Then we will use craft sticks as the stems (painted green), they will cut out white daisy petals and we will use yellow pom-pom balls for the middle of the daisy flower. 

Thursday: 

Read this book

Game: I'm going to have fish made with numbers 1-20 on them and turn them all over (where you can't see the numbers) in a "pond". The girls are going to have tweezers to pick up the fish and then they get to write the numbers they pick up in order on their papers. 
Art: Using toilet paper tubes and bubble wrap. Paint the toilet paper tubes whatever color they want, let dry. Then paint onto the same toilet paper tube with bubble wrap in a different color to make the fish scales. After everything is dry, we're going to add tissue paper for the fins and googly eyes. 

Friday: 

Read this book

Review all sight words - we do sight words every week and the girls know so many now that I like to do a review every Friday
Art project that we're going to be working on, on and off, all day. 
Make truffula trees using cotton balls, sticks, paint, water, and food coloring. Also, I will be doing the part with the hot glue gun, not the girls since I don't want them to burn themselves. Want to learn how to make these wonderful truffula trees, visit this blog: inlieuofpreschool.com/lorax-craft-sensory-bin/


I'm SO excited for our Dr. Seuss week. Every week, we do three sight words, then take the day off sight words on Thursday and review all the sight words we've ever done on Fridays. Sometimes we only review the ones from that week and other times we incorporate many weeks. I usually try to review the ones they have more trouble with the most. They also love to work in their 'school books' that have addition, abc things, rhyming, tracing, and much more. 

Thank you for checking out my blog, continue to follow me as I will be doing many more blog posts :)
*Gabrielle*



No comments:

Post a Comment